Sunday, September 11, 2011

Remembering The Day

September 11th, 2001
     On September 11th, 2001, I was in first grade. It was Grandparent's Day and my Grandma came to my school to eat lunch with me. After lunch, she took me home and I remember her being really interested in whatever they were talking about on the radio. I had no clue what they were saying because it was in Spanish. When I got back to my house, my mom, my dad, my brothers, and myself all sat in the living room watching the news. I knew what had happened, however I didn't know exactly what it meant. At the time, I didn't know how the events that had occurred would end up impacting millions of people not only in our country, but all over the world.
     It was the first time I had ever heard the words "Terrorist Attack". I still didn't know exactly what it meant, I just knew it was important because it was on every television channel; everyone was talking about it; everyone was concerned.
     That is really all I remember of that day, but I knew that life would never be the same. I just felt it.
A few years later, I visited Ground Zero in New York City. I was in sixth grade so I had some time to mature a little. By then I knew more about that awful day in 2001. I felt that sick feeling in my stomach when I read letters and saw pictures children and family members had made for their loved ones who had passed away from the tragedy. I didn't like the feeling, and I wanted to get out of there, but I am glad I got to experience perhaps the most important place in all of the United States.

September 11th, 2011
     Today, as I watch the television specials and read the articles on the internet, I remember that tragic day in 2001 and I get a sick feeling in my stomach. The same sick feeling I had when I saw the footage on the news that day in first grade. The same sick feeling I had when I visited Ground Zero in 2007. The same sick feeling I get every time I see video of the event. The same sick feeling I get as I type these words that truly come from my heart.
     Today, I think about the millions of people whose lives have been affected by the events of September 11th, 2001. I feel for every single one of them and words can not express the amount of sadness I feel.
I'm not sure what else to say, but I just want everyone to remember the people and the event that changed our lives as Americans. We all have our differences, but when it comes to the events of 9/11, we all become united as one nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

-Brandon




No comments:

Post a Comment